Friday, May 30, 2008

Happy Birthday 2 You! Get It? 2?


Well, here she is. Enjoying her favorite meal - taco in a bag. We spent Memorial Day weekend at the lake and had a small party on Sunday to celebrate Genevieve's 2nd birthday. Against my better judgement, we're having another gathering this Sunday for her "friends", the 2 children born within 5 weeks of her that she plays with most often. And I plan to shamelessly roll out the taco in a bag feast at that fiesta also.
Given that the jury is still out on potential damage to a child's psyche from internet posts about early childhood developmental milestones, I'll save the picture of her on the Dora the Explorer 3-in-1 Potty Chair for the montage at her wedding.

Lydia is down to like, 7 days left of school. And in the "keeping it real" department, I'm on a quest to find a good educational psychologist that can meet with us and help us figure out ways that we can help Lydia excel in school. Academically, we have no worries. She is bright, and learns quickly, as long as she can stay on task during school. It is mostly for our own peace of mind - her teachers have not contacted us about any signs of ADHD or other behavioral diagnoses. There is some impulsivity that on some days I think, "Wow, at nearly 8 years old, she maybe should have outgrown this by now!" and on other days I think, "What a card! Why, that's just her irrepressible 'lydianess' shining through!" Obviously, I need a professional's opinion to help tell the difference. My goal in all of this is two-fold: 1) I'd like to figure out some ways to help us help her to focus, be it at home, school, or anywhere and 2) I'd like to be able to advocate for our daughter a little, instead of walking into parent-teacher conferences next fall and having the teacher tell ME what we're going to do to keep her on track. I'll keep you posted.

We're off to the lake again this afternoon. My dad had his hip replaced on Tuesday and there's talk of him being discharged home today so we want to be there for the big event.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, phew! I still have one more party to make it still officially her birthday, and get my card out :)

Give my best to your Dad for a speedy recovery!
Loving the picture, by the way.