Wednesday, May 21, 2008

To Do List

So I managed to make it through the Brownie overnight without scaring anyone. I did give everyone fair warning. But then I just kind of laid there & dozed off and on with my ipod on all night. One of the other mom's said she couldn't really hear me at all. Shell was nice enough to take the Little Reyes Sisters to the park on Saturday when we got home so I could rest. I love him.

Jenna will be 2 on Sunday. I had her in for the 2-year well baby visit yesterday. She weighs an astonishingly slight 23.4 lbs. I relay this info to Shell, and he looks at me quizzically. "What does that mean?" he says. I tell him it means that 89% of kids that are turning 2 this week weigh more than she does. I also tell him that 61% of kids that are turning 2 this week are taller than she is. I tell him to add an extra dollop of lard to her refried beans before he gives them to her. Then I tell him that her head circumference is something like 19.2 cm. Again with the question marks floating around his head. I tell him that only 2% of kids turning 2 this week have a bigger head than his daughter. Oh, and maybe this guy. But seriously, considering where we have come from at the beginning of her life, I'm profoundly grateful, giant melon and all.

Lydia hasn't figured out yet that she should be counting down how many days of school she has left. (I haven't been counting either, but I know it isn't many.) She helped me plant all of the flower pots last night. I appreciate the help and love spending time with her, but worry a little that she'll be too personally invested in the success or failure of our patio pots and maybe take matters into her own hands with the garden hose, literally. I envision having to take money out of savings to cover the July 2008 water bill if we don't keep an eye on her.

I'm trying to convince Shell that he should take an active role in Lydia's life by attending track & field day on Friday. Initially his response was of course, "I can't." Huh? He seems to be warming up to the idea though. So if you should happen to talk to him, or bump into him at the grocery this week, talk up the idea of going, would you? I'm swamped.

Only 3 more days and then we're off to the lake for Memorial Day. I feel like we just got home, don't even have the laundry done. We're going to do a tiny celebration for Genevieve's birthday on Sunday afternoon, and then have a "friend" party on June 1st. But I've got to order a cake, prepare the meal, wrap her gifts, and try to acclamate her to her life jacket - all before Friday. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hola and Felicidades to Princess Jenna, hope you have a wonderful time at the lake while we broil down here with 95 degree weather. Why was it again that you didn't want to come to Houston in August? I've become an avid reader of your blog and like to listen to your daily monologues about the fam. Say hi to el bandido and Lydia. P.S. We got the kids' birth certificates today and they are really really ours now! We are their mother and father in black and white...boy, are we ever going to mess them up...