Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Kingdom for a Camera

If you thought my description of Lydia's first day of school outfit was outlandish, you should get a load of what she came up with for today. Again, I apologize for not being able to post a picture, but suffice it to say, today's outfit has her equally ready for a day of learning or an evening at the prom.

A couple of years ago, my sister-in-law Mireya, who has 2 girls that are slightly older than Lydia, sent a couple of fancy dresses from Mexico. The one that Lydia chose for today is lavender, with 6 lbs of tulle under the skirt and comes to just above her ankle. There are various stains on the bodice of the dress, which I managed to convince her to cover with a white sweater. She added some white tights and some metallic purple and white polka dotted ballet flats, and she was out the door.

How did I not notice before this how much joy it brings her to pick out these outfits for herself? As someone that has to control everything as far as the eye can see, I understand that letting go in the this manner is a process. It started with, "pick your battles", which then turned into, "How about if I be in charge of washing the clothes, and you be in charge of putting them on before you go to school?", which has now evolved into, "Oh, your teacher said that its ok to wear tu-tus to school? Sounds great! Aaaaaaand, more importantly, looks great! Have a good day, sis!"

And Lydia? When you read this, and I'm certain that in time you will, on Wednesday, September 10th, 2008, when I dropped you off at school in the morning, and watched you make your way to the door, your beauty nearly took my breath away. It always does.

Love, Mama

No comments: